Monday, September 22, 2008

As promised, I did indeed go on a shopping adventure this Saturday. Despite having sworn off shopping in the month of September (which I will admit I only remembered with a start while scanning Urban Outfitters for the bomber jacket), I decided it was time I did a little field research. What kind of blogger would I be if I never tested the waters, I thought to myself. And what better way to ignore the ominous economic disasters thundering in our ears?

I imagined I'd actually drop a fair amount of coin and take home some fresh duds that would Change My Life. But in a day of shopping, I bought ONE T-shirt from Urban Outfitters! Granted, it's a pretty awesome shirt, but hardly a new wardrobe. Disappointing. I'm a little disappointed in myself for my frugality as well - though it is a defining characteristic of my personality - because if I'm going to covet things, I'd at least like for them to be fancy things I couldn't afford anyway. But no, everything I didn't buy was way over on the cheap end, nothing classy about it. Alas! Here are the also-rans:


Exhibit A: Old Navy "The Diva" kitten gray skinny jeans. In general, I wish skinny jeans were more straight-legged than skinny, and these are hedging toward that end, but in the end you can't fight city hall. A private note to Old Navy: Your nonsensical denim categorizations are perfectly ridiculous and I am embarrassed for myself for spending twenty minutes trying to find what I was looking for - the "The Diva" lowest rise skinny jeans in slate gray. Which I never could.


Exhibit B: Masaki Matsushima's "Masaki" perfume. I'm not a perfume person in general, but I tentatively dabbed and then slathered this on at Sephora while waiting for Sarah to make her purchases, and I was like, heyyyy you smell good! To myself. It smells sweet without smelling like a damn candy. And at a nice price: Sephora sells a $16 roll-on cologne.


Exhibit C: Kimchi dress in one of my favorite colors, fern green...


And these were not spotted on Saturday, but I'd just like to add that I am in the mood for a pair of penny loafers like these from Steve Madden, on sale at 6pm.com for an un-Steve Madden-like price, only I want them in shiny brown leather.

That is all.

3 comments:

Sarah Brown said...

I also would sign that petition against Old Navy and their ridiculous denim categories. I refuse to label myself a Diva, Old Navy! And put all your jeans in one place so I don't have to hunt through the back alleys! I came home and found what I wanted on your website without having to sweat or curse once.

e said...

AGREED. I also refuse to label myself a Goddess. I mean, ew.

that birds shirt looks adorable on you! I just know it!

sarah said...

update: i saw these jeans on a "normal"-sized girl on the street and i no longer want them. not flattering! not surprising though.